Thursday, July 31, 2014

Love never fails

"What is the greatest commandment?” the crowds inquired of Jesus. He responded with a definitive answer - To love God with all your heart, with all your soul and with your entire mind. And the second of these is to love your neighbor as yourself." 

Not a day passes that one can't find dozens of quotes, seminars and conferences on how to find one's purpose, niche, or place of success. Christ laid out the answer for success over 2000 years ago with a simple direction to love. The problem is this love is not easy and requires everything. It's not a love that is self-seeking, but a love that sacrificially pours into others. It requires our whole heart, our whole soul and our entire mind. How do you do that in a world that is filled with self-gratification?  Media is ignited with self-promotion and you can purchase followers to create an image of success. How crazy is that! All the daily noise of having your name at the top, having the most followers, reposts, tweets, shares, etc. has us all in a holding pattern of keeping our eyes on ourselves. It's so easy to get sucked into the undercurrent and stay so busy being busy, but never breaking out and changing course. 

Today as I scan through my Facebook wall and see all the paid ads luring me to promote me, I take a step aside to catch my breath and refocus on the words of Jesus. He is not asking me to be #1 on twitter, Facebook or instagram. He is directing me to love those around me, and in that love I will find true meaning of success. 




"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

No comments:

Post a Comment